Training Requirements

In Alaska, foster parents are required to have training as part of their licensing requirements. There is initial training called Core Training for Resource Families and there is the ongoing training requirement after the first year of licensing.

Yearly Foster Parent Requirements

According to Alaska foster care regulations, all licensed foster homes are required to have ongoing yearly training. One (1) parent homes are required to have 10 hours of training per license year. Two (2) parent homes are required to have 15 hours per license year shared between the two parents. Each foster parent is required to have a minimum of 5 hours per year.

New foster and adoptive families are encouraged to attend on-site local Core Training for Resource Parents in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Mat-Su and Kenai/Soldotna. Foster families in other areas should complete either the Core Training Web Based Course or request the Core Training for Resource Families self-study workbook. This course gives basic information about foster children, families and the child protective system.

Experienced foster parents may complete training through self-study or on-site training with the Alaska Center for Recourse Families or attend classes, workshops or conferences sponsored by other agencies. See our Alternative Training Information Sheet for more information about what is accepted for training hours.

The Alaska Center for Resource Families is set up to assist foster parents in recording their training. ACRF can track your training when you fill out an Alternative Training Information Sheet and submit documentation. If your training is accepted, it will be entered into a database and made available to you or your licensing worker upon request.