#MaskUpAlaska for Kids in Foster Care
Help us make sure that Alaska kids in foster care have the right masks to returning to school. We are looking for cloth and disposable mask donations, people or groups willing to sew, and cotton fabric and elastic donations to help kids in foster care return to school safely.
Promotional Flyer--- Please share with others!
Mask Making Instructions and Resources
Information About the Alaska COVID-19 Situation
With physical distancing being practiced throughout the state, family contact are mostly happening digitally which means visits are happening online, by video communication or by phone. Check out these resources from other states and agencies for ideas of how to make this process go more smoothly.
Activities at Home
Obviously, the internet is filled with ideas of activities for kids so go looking for them (and then let us know). Here’s just a couple ideas.
- Free Online Art Lessons for Kids
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems A daily doodle session with Mo Willems from the Kennedy Center. Subscribe to get noticed or go to the Kennedy Center Website under videos (you will also find a lot of other great performances there as well!)
- 100 Activities to Do at Home During School Closures
- Cosmic Kids Adventures to the Moon
- 250 Plus Ways to Keep Your Family Sane During the COVID19 Outbreak
- Adventures in Familyhood: Virtual Field Trips to Take with Your Kids
- Breathe In, Breathe Out Video
- Storyline Online
- The Georgia Aquarium Jelly Cam (and Whale Cam, and Otter Cam, etc.) Just for fun!
- A list of a lot more Virtual Field Trips including Buckingham Palace, the Great Wall of China, the Pyramids, and the Montery Aquarium, the San Diego Zoo, and a whole lot more!
- #OperationStoryTime is a project of authors reading their children’s books.
- No restrictions on travelling (or reservations needed) when you take these virtual tours of the National Parks.
- Virtual Rides in Disneyworld and Disneyland
- Make your own Custom Paper Toys.
- Best Beginnings Ideas for Digital Reading and Books in Alaska
- Free Online Speech Therapy Resources for Kids
- Tips for Speech Therapy at Home for Children with Autism
- Beachbody Kids Workouts
- Big List of Authors Reading Their Books
- Alaska Caring Notes Have your children write notes to elders and resiendts in nursing homes.
- www.robotvsloth.com/coloringsheets Free Coloring Sheets of robots, sloths, bunnies and more!
- Free Digital Cooking Classes for Kids and Family
- Free Online Workout Classes with the Alaska Club.
Keeping Up With Education
Schools in Alaska are operating differently throughout the state including going online or being closed. Check with your school district to find out resources and expectations for continued schooling. Meanwhile, here is a list of great education related sites.
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) Specific Resources
(From the Alaska Mental Health Board) The COVID-19 crisis can be especially difficult for people with neurobehavioral disorders. Many individuals with FASD have a high rate of pre-existing health conditions and often rely on the help of others. Below are just a few resources regarding how we can support individuals living with this disability.
- COVID-19: Tips for Caregivers of Individuals with FASD
- The Canada FASD Research Network offers preventative health measures, a guide for explaining COVID-19 to children, setting a daily routine, displaying protection reminders, managing sensitivities, giving direct and positive health instructions, making preventative health fun, practicing calming techniques, and more.
- FASD, COVID-19, and Alcohol Awareness Month
The National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome offers information and resources for pregnant women, recognizing the impacts of FASD and pre-existing health conditions, changes in access to care, and more.
- Stay At Home Guide for Kids with FASD
The National Organisation for Foetal Alcohol Syndrome-UK offers a workbook for kids offers hands-on activities that include fun ideas, things to do outside, making a calm space, daily timetable, cut-out activities, and more.
- COVID-19 and Staying at Home with a Child with Special Needs Nate Sheets Video